Foods to support and cleanse the liver can be easily added to your weekly meal plan. During the holiday season your body needs a little extra support because of the parties, late nights, and larger than usual to-do list. The liver has over 500 functions in the body!!! Our bodies are assaulted daily with toxins from numerous sources. When you add in unhealthy eating and alcohol through the season our livers to-do list increases. Once our liver is overburden something has to give. It will choose what gets done which often means recirculating toxins to filter the next time they come around. When people ask me what they can do to help themselves with any health issue I most often say support the liver. Here are some go-to foods and practices to help the liver fight the good battle!
1. Russian Garlic – allicin and selenium compounds to aid liver cleansing.
2. Onions – along with garlic, onions are high in sulfur which help with detoxification.
3. Antioxidants – reduces oxidative damage.
- Vitamin C – lemons, limes or all citrus, berries, kiwi fruit
- Beta-carotene – carrots, sweet potatoes, watercress, squash
- Vitamin E – seeds, cold-pressed oils, nuts, beans, fish
- Selenium – oysters, brazil nuts, seeds, molasses, tuna, mushrooms
- Glutathione – tuna, pulses, nuts, seeds, garlic, onions
- Anthocyanidins – berries, cherries, red grapes, beetroot, prunes
- Lipoic Acid – red meat, potatoes, carrots, yams, beets, spinach
- Co-enzyme Q – sardines, mackerel, nuts, seeds
4. Leafy Green Vegetables neutralize Heavy Metal toxins.
- Arugula, spinach, dandelion greens, mustard greens, chicory
5. Avocados – aids production of glutathione
6. Organic Apples – high in pectin, which binds to toxins for elimination.
7. Fiber – ground flax seeds, psyllium, chia seeds help to bind with toxins for elimination.
8. Cold Pressed Unrefined Organic Oils – coconut oil, olive oil, hemp, Udo’s oil or flax oil.
9. Cruciferous Vegetables – the sulfur will aid in the production of glutathione
10. Walnuts – high in glutathione and omega 3 fatty acids.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar – add 1 tsp in 1 cup of water first thing in the morning to fire it up.
I hope you can find a way to implement the foods above to support and cleanse the liver . If you do find your immune system a bit compromised look to Amanda Millers post https://amandamillernutrition.com/2019/10/16/immune-boosting-bone-broth/ on how to make some delicious bone broth. You can also take look at https://lifeflowdirectory.ca/uncategorized/how-to-choose-nutrient-dense-food/ to optimize the nutrient density of the food you do eat. Epson Salt baths are great for detox. Right before bed the magnesium boost will help relax you for a peaceful sleep. Good Luck during this holiday season!
I wish you Health and Happiness,